Tuesday, February 26, 2013

R.J.Palacio~Wonder~

Read: On Kindle
Paid: £2.84
Reason I choose it: I try to read books where they are written through the eyes of a child with a disability, illness etc... because it makes me understand, appreciate the children and parents in similar situations at work.
 
Summary
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse. August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances? R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.

(blurb)

My opinion
I waited for this book to come down in price as it was around £8. I'm glad I did wait as it was interesting. Each chapter is written by a different person in Auggies life so it continues the story from them. Auggie starts middle school for the first time but is given the chance over the summer holidays to go in and look around and meet 3 of the children that have been recommended from their previous school as being good people... one becomes a great friend(Jack), another an enemy (Julian) and the last just acknowledges him. With each person sharing their opinions and emotions it gives you a better idea of how you or anyone else may react to such a situation, in my case I'd probably be the one starring unfortunately. I of course did disagree with some things like I would have liked to have read about Julian but instead you got Auggies sisters boyfriend and best friend... the boyfriends part was interesting but the best friends part was pointless as you never really get down to the bottom of her problem. Then you've got the fact that a bunch of 10 year olds are suddenly into boyfriends and partying... I've no idea what its like in America but I was actually one of the lucky few to go to a middle school and at that age we just did not act the way they did or even care to have boyfriends. It just seemed very teenagerish. I do find it a bit squeeky though.

My Rating
 photo strawberry4star.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...